Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Meaningful Technology

     Technology based rubrics are helpful for students and teachers. For students especially with an online class it is easy to see exactly what you are required and how you will be scored. Most teachers do not hand out rubrics and just hive you guidelines. A rubric online is detailed and has exactly what needs to get done  On the other hand, they are not updated that often and usually get reused without being looked at it. It is hard for some people to learn that way because all they are doing is reading something.     
     Clicker technology is something I have experienced in school. I do enjoy doing them and think they introduce a different kind of learning. It gives the class a break from the every day lecture and gives them an opportunity to do something different. It can be limited in the fact that students do not get to verbally talk about the questions and are given options to chose from. It would be had to use in a math class because students would be less motivated to work out the problem to just use mental math instead of working it out. Overall, I do think they are good and are a good activity for students to do.
      Kidspiration and inspiration are good things from what I looked at. It seems that they would both be helpful in collecting thoughts and ideas. It seems like it is good for visual learners and students who need more reinforcement on their assignments or homework. They can actually see the material and make connections with it on the program. They get pictures with descriptions talking about the pictures.
     Overall, I think these technologies would be helpful in a classroom. They give children options of different types of learning. They are all used for different things. Rubrics are good for long term projects or group projects. Clickers are good to assess the children’s knowledge on a subject or a small quiz grade. And the inspiration is good for younger students and I do not see how I could use it in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Erika,
    I liked the clicker tool, too. But I wonder if it could be used with younger elementary students, like kinder or first. I think it would be too much for them to handle along with the content or expressing the content at the same time. Can't wait to integrate these into my classroom though.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the younger grades could use them. Younger students are engaged in computer instruction and look forward using technology. Why not try a clicker tool? My guess is that with the right teaching, they too can be successful using a clicker tool.

    ReplyDelete