Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chapter 6

I really like blogs and wikis. Blogs are more for writing activities and since I will hopefully be teaching math so I don't see them being too helpful. Wiki's on the other than hand could be beneficial for my students to discuss their homework instead of emailing. Wikis are easier to cross things out and then write something new. If students are struggling with homework they can post their questions on here to have other students assit them. Also, if I have my students doing a group project they can plan on wikis who is going to do what for certain parts of the project. It is good for organizing the project if the students cannot all meet face-to-face.

I like the idea of socialbookmarking. I think it keeps all of your websites very organized and you don't have to be at your home computer to access them. It is nice that other people especially teachers can also view the websites and get ideas from my websites and then I can get ideas from theirs. My students may also find it useful so they can access any helpful websites I put on there that has to do with what we are learning. I think the voicethread is the most interesting of all. It involves/combines so many things into one big website. I think it would be beneficial for online classes or a fun project for any age students but especially the younger ones.

Tapped In could be a beneficial thing for teachers. It could help out teachers communicate with each other instead of having to meet face-to-face. It sounds like a good approach to get the community involved and have them understand the teaching style and what is going on in the classrooms, but it seems confusing. I have not had a chance to explore it that much but when I did try it seemed confusing.

Jonassen, DJ, Howland, JH, Marra, RM, & Crismond, DC (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the idea about posting questions on a Wiki for the older kids. That is a great way for students to answer their own questions and teach each other. Also, I completely agree that some of the applications that we covered this week would be better for a specific age group. For instance, I see a lot of possibilities for the younger students with Voice Thread but I don't have many ideas for using Social Bookmarking with them. I also agree that Tapped In does appear somewhat confusing but then, that may be only because I have not used it enough to know anything other than what our textbook tells us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wiki's are wonderful things to implement into our classroom. I'm a bilingual aide in 3rd grade and currently our teachers each have a wikispace that the students are able to connect to. Wiki's vary from teacher to teacher. Some have math games, literacy games, vokis, and much more. I love seeing our students so excited about their teacher's wiki space and scrambling to get to the computers in order to work. I agree with both of your responses to wikispaces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having a Wiki for students to post questions for help from each other, that is a great way to have them communicate with each other. I agree with you on Tapped In, everyone is so busy so having a resource to talk to other teachers without meeting face to face would be extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete