Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chapter 7 and Podcasting

I learned a few new things about podcasting. I had a general idea and learned a little more from watching the video. I know some people whole really enjoy watching them and do subscribe to them. I personally have never subscribed to one, but I have watched a few of them. I do not see how I would use one in my classroom. If I was to teach resource math I'm not sure how I would include it in my lesson plans.

It is similar to other applications because it is a new way of communicating with others for example social bookmarking and especially voicethread. It is a new way of communicating over the internet with sound. You can actually see pictures, videos, and hear sound all at the same time. Also, they are all benefits to teachers who want to educate their children on technology and different forms of communication. It is different from others because you can download it onto your computer or Ipod and it can be accessed at any time without using the internet. All of the other applications need the internet to be accessed. 

Yes, I do own an Ipod and I use it when I got to the gym and work out. I usually just use it to listen to music and sometimes watch a movie. I think if I found something that would apply to my students that I would use and Ipod in my classroom. Children enjoy learning or using different things so I wouldn't mind finding a way to make it fit into my lesson plan. It could be something simple like playing classical music while they are working on an in class assignment or taking a test. Advantages of online communication is that it provides more communication and options for people who are taking and online class or just really busy and it is easier to communicate online. Disadvantages are that tthe technology is taking place of a lot of face to face interaction. For younger children it might take time away from interaction and make it all on the internet which can cause poor social skills.
Jonassen, DJ, Howland, JH, Marra, RM, & Crismond, DC (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson.

1 comment:

  1. Erika,
    I am not a Math major but had one idea about how you may integrate podcasting into that subject area. Students could create a podcast on any subject and it may be a useful tool in assessing their knowledge of any material. If they can describe how to solve a problem and check their answer, then they can prove mastery of the subject and podcasting such information could help other students in learning how to solve their problems as well. Just a thought and good post!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete